Saturday, February 19, 2011

I'll Keep Lying To My Kids, Until They Wisen Up

Horrible, isn't it? I feel no guilt whatsoever about the following dishonest charade...

Setting: Trusty Honda Civic, en route to a casual dinner out with the family.

Son #1: I want to go to Red Lobster!

Son #2: Red Lobster! Red Lobster!

DH: (whispering to me) Not tonight. I'll spend the whole time shelling crab legs for him. I just want a relaxing meal.

Allergist Mommy: Okay, kiddo. Let me call the restaurant...

(fake dials phone, lifts to ear) "Hello, Red Lobster? Do you have a table for 4? Yes, for tonight. Oh, really? Well, how soon will a table be open? 11pm?!?! No no, that's too late. Maybe some other time. Thank you. bye."

Honey, they are too full right now. How about Mexican?

Son #1: Okay, Mommy. I like their chips!

DH: Awesome.

This trick will only work for another couple of years. Until then, I intend to milk it dry.

2 comments:

  1. Yep. I'm riding the lying train as long as I can. The pacifier fairy came to our house. The Easter Bunny understands egg allergy. And sometimes the TV is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, it gets you off the hook easily, but a lie is still a lie. While it's annoying to hear them whine or complain, I tell my 3 little ones the truth, and they learn to accept it. Ultimately, are you modeling the behaviour you want from them? Do you mind if they lie to you?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this blog's posts! Let's keep the discussion engaging and free of frivolous advertising or vulgarity. It's a family show, folks!