Monday, May 3, 2010

5 Year Old Teaches Mom to Look at the Silver Lining of Road Construction

Anyone who hails from Chicago knows that we have two seasons: winter and construction. Now that construction season is upon us, it is often difficult to stay in a good mood while commuting.

When construction delays forced me to take a circuitous route home last week, bypassing the highway and winding through all sorts of local roads we had never seen before, I was starting to get frustrated. I mean, how is it that every highway needs to be upgraded every spring? I just want to get on the highway and fly home, you know? Kids are in the car, we're hungry and tired, and I could feel my blood starting to boil as we hit yet another red light.

We finally pulled into the garage, and my 5 year old says, "Mommy, I really liked the new way you took us home today- it was very creative!"

God bless preschool teachers. God bless 'em.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sakina:

    We have seen each other at the Sherman's Pediatric Department Meetings but have not formally met. My name is Joanna Betancourt and I practice General Pediatrics in Algonquin. Recently, I referred some of my patients to you and they came back thrilled with you and your care! It is great to count with a truly Pediatrics Allergist Immunologist in our community. What a difference it makes! Thank you for taking such good care of my patients. Pls, keep posting, I enjoy your entries greatly ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, Thanks for trusting me with the care of your patients- it has been my pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. Whenever I take a different way to try to avoid traffic, my kids say "Mommy, that's not the right way". I explain there is no "right" way - just many options and encourage them to have an open mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this blog's posts! Let's keep the discussion engaging and free of frivolous advertising or vulgarity. It's a family show, folks!